Having to pay for high-priced auto insurance in Milpitas can draw down your funds and make it tough to pay other bills.
Shocking but true, the majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. Consumers in California can save up to 35% each year, but most undervalue the actual amount they would save if they switched to a cheaper policy. There are many auto insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it's a good thing to have a selection, more choices can make it harder to locate the cheapest rates.
Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Milpitas can be much easier if you know how to start. If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to lower your rates using the techniques presented in this article. Shoppers only need an understanding of the proper methods to buy car insurance from many different companies online.
Auto insurance companies in California
The companies shown below provide price quotes in California. In order to find the best cheap auto insurance in California, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$1,302||$651||$109|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$2,138||$1,069||$178|
|Ford Edge SE 2WD||$1,380||$690||$115|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,450||$725||$121|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,216||$608||$101|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Navigation||$1,606||$803||$134|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,586||$793||$132|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,232||$616||$103|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,302||$651||$109|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in specific garaging location which can increase or decrease insurance rates considerably.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Chevrolet Malibu yearly insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the California minimum liability coverage. The rate quotes are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no clear-cut formula for dropping physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's say your Chevrolet Malibu settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $3,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying in excess of $300 annually for your policy with full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some scenarios where eliminating full coverage is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Earn discounts on Milpitas car insurance
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be asked about in order for you to get them.
- Early Payment Discounts - By paying your policy upfront as opposed to paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Renewal Discounts - Select larger companies give a discount for buying a policy before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Memberships - Participating in a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates on your bill.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but a few companies such as GEICO and Allstate permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you have no claims before the accident.
- Buy New and Save - Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Save over 55 - Older drivers can possibly qualify for lower premium rates.
- Milpitas Homeowners Pay Less - Just owning your own home can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you quote Milpitas auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Active Military Service - Having an actively deployed family member could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won't be that lucky.
Companies and some of the premium reductions they offer include:
- Progressive has discounts for continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, online signing, online quote discount, and good student.
- GEICO discounts include anti-lock brakes, driver training, anti-theft, membership and employees, defensive driver, federal employee, and military active duty.
- State Farm may include discounts for good driver, good student, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, accident-free, and defensive driving training.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for multi-car, defensive driver, homeowner, safety device, multi-policy, and online quote.
- The Hartford offers discounts for anti-theft, defensive driver, driver training, good student, bundle, vehicle fuel type, and air bag.
Check with every prospective company the best way to save money. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies everywhere.
Components of your insurance policy premiums
The best way to find cheaper auto insurance is to take a look at some of the elements that help determine auto insurance rates. If you know what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get big savings. Many different elements are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are more obscure such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
The factors shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Cheaper rates by bundling - Most larger companies give a discount to people who have multiple policies with them. It's known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you may still want to comparison shop to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Vehicle features that lower rates - Choosing to buy a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can save you some money. Systems that thwart theives such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help stop your vehicle from being stolen.
- Extra policy coverages are wasting money - There are a ton of additional coverages that sound like a good idea at the time but may not be useful. Coverages like roadside assistance, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage could be just wasting money. The coverages may be enticing when talking to your agent, but if you've never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
- More traffic means higher claims - Having an address in small towns and rural areas may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. City drivers have to deal with congested traffic and higher rates of accident claims. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accident claims and lower theft and vandalism rates.
- File a insurance claims and pay more - If you file a lot of claims you should expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies in California award lower rates to people who are not frequent claim filers. Auto insurance is designed for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- Performance impacts costs - The make and model of the car, truck or SUV you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in your rates. Smaller low performance passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Liability insurance safeguards assets - Your auto insurance policy's liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when you are determined to be liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court to defend your case. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to comp and collision, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone's situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might point out whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- I have health insurance so do I need medical payments coverage?
- How much liability coverage do I need in California?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form. It's fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Affordable car insurance premiums are possible
We covered a lot of ways to find cheaper coverage online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Milpitas auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Cheaper car insurance in Milpitas is available both online and with local Milpitas insurance agents, so you need to quote Milpitas auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
For more information, feel free to visit the articles below:
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Quotes for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Hyundai Elantra in California? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Long Beach, CA? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in San Jose, California? (FAQ)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)