How many years has it been since you compared cheaper car insurance rates in Paso Robles, CA? Shopping for the lowest price quotes on the web may be intimidating for drivers that are relatively new to online price comparisons. With such a large choice of online companies, how are drivers able to possibly compare all the different companies and get the lowest rates?
It's hard to believe, but nearly 70% of customers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and 38% of drivers have never compared rates from other carriers. California consumers could save $469 a year, but they won't spend time to go online and compare rates.
Save money by earning discounts
Some providers don't always advertise every discount in a way that's easy to find, so the list below contains some of the more common as well as the least known ways to save on car insurance.
- Paperwork-free - Many larger companies will provide an incentive get Paso Robles auto insurance on your computer.
- Seat Belts Save - Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Low mileage vehicles may enable drivers to earn cheaper premium rates.
- Multi-car Discount - Having primary and secondary vehicles on a single policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- College Student Discount - College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Paso Robles and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Policy Bundle Discount - If you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking a driver safety class can save you 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- Student Driver Training - Have your child enroll in driver's education as it can save substantially.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn't quite work that way.
Some of the insurance companies that may include some of the discounts shown above include:
It's a good idea to ask each insurance company to give you their best rates. Some discounts might not be available to policyholders in every state. To locate car insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in California, click this link.
Just remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps you find a lower rate than you're paying now.
The following companies provide price comparisons in California. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,698||$849||$142|
|Chevrolet Malibu LTZ||$1,592||$796||$133|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$1,394||$697||$116|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,094||$547||$91|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$1,084||$542||$90|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$1,218||$609||$102|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,206||$603||$101|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,482||$741||$124|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,164||$582||$97|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,364||$682||$114|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,710||$855||$143|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$1,176||$588||$98|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in specific Paso Robles garaging location which can raise or lower coverage rates considerably.
Violations and accidents raise rates
The illustration below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault accidents can impact Ford Focus insurance premiums for each different age category. Data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Ford Focus rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Find cheap car insurance with these tips
It's important that you understand the different types of things that are used to determine the price you pay for car insurance. If you have some idea of what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that could result in lower rates. Many different elements are considered when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but some are more obscure such as your marital status or your vehicle rating.
The following are some of the things used by companies to determine your rates.
Rates can be impacted by your occupation - Jobs such as judges, air traffic controllers, and dentists usually pay higher rates than average due to job stress and long work days. On the other hand, professions such as actors, students and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
Being married brings a discount - Getting married can get you a discount on your car insurance policy. It translates into being less irresponsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Teen drivers pay high prices - Teen drivers in California are statistically proven to be more careless when driving and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. Older, more experienced drivers tend to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and usually have better credit.
Less chance of injury means lower rates - Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts which can result in lower premiums.
Males are more aggressive - Over time, data shows that females take fewer risks when driving. That doesn't necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. They both tend to get into at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but guys cause more damage. Men also statistically get higher numbers of serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI).
Where do you drive? - The higher the miles on your car in a year's time the more you will pay for car insurance. Most companies charge to insure your cars based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time cost less to insure than cars that get driven a lot. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet correctly shows the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Your address can push rates up or down - Being located in small towns and rural areas can save you money when shopping for auto insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims. Drivers in populated California areas regularly have more auto accidents and longer commute times. Longer commute distances translates into higher accident risk.
Your auto insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When quoting and comparing a policy for your personal vehicles, there really is no "best" method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
For instance, these questions might point out whether you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- What is the minimum liability in California?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- When should I not file a claim?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high cost, insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying car insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Lower rates by being persistent
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, poor customer service, lack of trust in their agent and even high rates after DUI convictions. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
While you're price shopping online, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where an insured dropped collision coverage and learned later they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, but do not skimp to save money.
We just covered a lot of tips how to find cheaper coverage online. It's most important to understand that the more you quote Paso Robles auto insurance, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the best car insurance rates are with the least-expected company.
More tips and info about insurance is located at these sites:
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda CR-V in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for College Students in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Fontana, California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in California? (FAQ)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)