Trying to find cheap auto insurance can be quite difficult for people new to shopping for insurance online. You have so many options that it can quickly become a real difficult job to find the best premium rates.
Shocking but true, 70% of consumers have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and 38% of customers have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. Most drivers in California could save an average of roughly $470 each year by just comparing quotes, but they don't know the benefits if they moved their coverage to a different company.
It's important to price shop coverage before your policy renews because prices trend upward over time. If you had the best price on auto insurance a few years ago you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the fastest way to find great coverage at a great price.
When quoting car insurance, remember that more quotes helps you find the best price. Not every company provides online rate quotes, so it's recommended that you also compare quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Porterville, CA. If you wish to find the cheapest car insurance in California, we suggest you click on several of them to get the cheapest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,702||$851||$142|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$1,978||$989||$165|
|Dodge Grand Caravan CV||$1,438||$719||$120|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$1,298||$649||$108|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,094||$547||$91|
|Ford Explorer Limited AWD||$1,604||$802||$134|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$1,442||$721||$120|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,750||$875||$146|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$1,324||$662||$110|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,700||$850||$142|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,126||$563||$94|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$1,060||$530||$88|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$1,860||$930||$155|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,592||$796||$133|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,280||$640||$107|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,454||$727||$121|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Table data does not factor in your specific Porterville location which can affect rates significantly.
Cautious drivers save money
The example below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims can influence Toyota Corolla premium costs for different insured age categories. Data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The diagram below examines Nissan Altima auto insurance costs with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The data is based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are applied.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no exact formula for phasing out comp and collision coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is about 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Nissan Altima settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying more than $300 annually for full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not financially feasible. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not drop full coverage.
These discounts can lower your car insurance quotes
Some providers don't always publicize all available discounts in a way that's easy to find, so here is a list both the well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Porterville auto insurance online. If they aren't giving you every credit you deserve, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Just owning your own home may earn you a small savings because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Payment Method - If you can afford to pay the entire bill instead of paying each month you can avoid the installment charge.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low annual miles can qualify you for lower premium rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Some insurance companies give a small discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Seat Belts Save - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Cautious Drivers - Accident-free drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
Discounts lower rates, but most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
Large car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are included below.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, membership and employees, anti-theft, and military active duty.
- MetLife may include discounts for good driver, accident-free, good student, claim-free, defensive driver, and multi-policy.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
- Travelers offers discounts including hybrid/electric vehicle, early quote, multi-policy, home ownership, and IntelliDrive.
- SAFECO has savings for multi-car, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, anti-theft, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, and homeowner.
- AAA discounts include good driver, multi-car, pay-in-full, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts may not be offered everywhere. To find car insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in Porterville, click this link.
Smart buyers can cut their auto insurance rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know a few of the rating criteria that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. When you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find lower auto insurance prices.
Liability protection risk factors in - Your policy's liability coverage will provide protection if ever you are ruled to be at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. It will provide legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Lower rates with a multi-policy discount - The majority of insurance companies afford a discount for people who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, consumers should still get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.
High insurance claims frequency drives up prices - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Insurance companies in California give the best rates to people who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is designed for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
Cheaper rates with high physical damage deductibles - Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your auto insurance pays a claim. Physical damage protection, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are colliding with a stationary object, animal collisions, or theft of your vehicle. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Better premiums for uninterrupted coverage - Allowing your coverage to lapse is a fast way to drive up your policy premiums. In addition to paying higher premiums, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could earn you fines and jail time. You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department.
Here's why car insurance is not optional
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Porterville, paying for car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so you should quote rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Cheap coverage is out there
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed full coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
A few companies may not have the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agencies. Cheaper auto insurance in Porterville can be bought both online in addition to many Porterville insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection.
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, being labeled a high risk driver, extreme rates for teen drivers and even high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Additional auto insurance information can be found below:
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 4x4 Vehicles in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap California Auto Insurance Quotes for State Employees? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Long Beach, CA? (FAQ)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What if I Can't Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)