Price shopping your insurance can be nearly impossible for drivers not familiar with online price comparisons. With such a big selection of agents and online companies, it can be hard work to find cheaper insurance rates.
Unbelievable but true, a large majority of insurance policyholders have bought insurance from the same company for more than four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. Consumers in California could cut their rates by roughly 35% a year by just shopping around, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to find cheap insurance by shopping around.
Consumers should take time to get comparison quotes as often as possible due to the fact that insurance prices trend upward over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the best deal on insurance two years ago you may be paying too much now. You'll find a ton of advice on insurance online, but in a few minutes you can learn some excellent ideas to lower your insurance rates in Santa Rosa.
If you have insurance now, you will definitely be able to reduce the price you pay using the techniques covered below. The purpose of this post is to help educate you on the most effective way to quote insurance and how to save the most money. But California car owners can benefit from knowing how companies determine how much to charge and apply this information to your search.
How to compare insurance price quotes in Santa Rosa, California
When comparison shopping, comparing more quotes will increase your chances of finding the best offered rates. Some smaller insurers do not give rate quotes online, so you should also compare rates from those companies as well.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in Santa Rosa, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$1,410||$705||$118|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$1,836||$918||$153|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,294||$647||$108|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,094||$547||$91|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,380||$690||$115|
|GMC Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,676||$838||$140|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,464||$732||$122|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$1,324||$662||$110|
|Honda Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,496||$748||$125|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring Station Wagon||$1,602||$801||$134|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$1,758||$879||$147|
|Kia Optima LX||$1,252||$626||$104|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,490||$745||$124|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$1,378||$689||$115|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,606||$803||$134|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can change premium rates significantly.
Impact of careless driving on Santa Rosa car insurance rates
The information below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents influence GMC Acadia insurance prices for different age groups of insureds. Data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
The illustration below highlights how deductible choice and can influence Chevrolet Silverado insurance costs for different age categories. The premiums are based on a married male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Annual premiums comparing men and women
The chart below shows the comparison of insurance costs for male and female drivers in Santa Rosa. The price estimates are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied on a Hyundai Elantra SE Touring.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Santa Rosa, buying insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If your vehicle gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying insurance outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so you should quote and compare rates at every policy renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Insurance discounts help lower rates
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might already qualify for some discounts that you may not know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time of purchase, but once in a while a discount must be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- First Accident Forgiveness - This one isn't a discount, but companies like Allstate and GEICO will allow you to have one accident before your rates go up with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a specific time period.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or former government employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your insurance provider.
- Paperwork-free - A few larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Organization Discounts - Belonging to a qualifying organization could earn you a nice discount on insurance.
- Multiple Cars - Buying insurance for more than one vehicle with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- New Car Discount - Buying a new car instead of a used car is cheaper because newer models are generally safer.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you can bundle your auto and home insurance and insure them with the same company you could get a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Onboard Data Collection - People who choose to allow their insurance company to spy on where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Allstate's Drivewise and State Farm's In-Drive system might see lower rates if they are good drivers.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Taking part in a course in defensive driving could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
As a sidenote, most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like you could get a free insurance policy, you're out of luck. But all discounts will lower your premiums.
Larger insurance companies and a selection of discounts are detailed below.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including switch companies, distant student, bundle discounts, multi-car, early shopping, good student, and teen driver.
- State Farm may include discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, accident-free, student away at school, and multiple policy.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for safety features, exclusive group savings, new vehicle discount, newly retired, new graduate, and hybrid vehicle.
- MetLife has savings for defensive driver, claim-free, multi-policy, good student, good driver, and accident-free.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, online quote discount, online signing, good student, and continuous coverage.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every prospective company the best way to save money. Savings may not apply to policies in Santa Rosa. To see companies that offer multiple discounts in California, click this link.
When to get advice from an insurance agent
A lot of people would rather get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get cheaper prices and also buy local. And providing support for local insurance agents is important especially in Santa Rosa.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Santa Rosa who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. You can find better rates without a big time investment. If you wish to get a rate quote from a specific insurance provider, don't hesitate to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Do you need an independent or exclusive auto insurance agent?
When searching for a local Santa Rosa insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agents and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies are either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company and that gives them the ability to insure with an assortment of companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, they can switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured.
When searching for an agent, you need to compare prices from a couple of independent agencies to have the most options to choose from. Most can insure with smaller regional carriers which may provide better rates.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only place business with one company such as Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on what they offer which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers often buy from exclusive agents partially due to the brand and strong financial ratings.
Finding a good insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
Upon getting good feedback as well as a affordable price, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that can service your policy.
Car insurance coverages explained
Knowing the specifics of a car insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other's property or people in an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 15/30/5 which stand for a limit of $15,000 per injured person, $30,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged propery. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers claims such as pain and suffering, structural damage and medical expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but you should consider buying higher limits.
Coverage for collisions
This covers damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like sideswiping another vehicle, driving through your garage door, sustaining damage from a pot hole, damaging your car on a curb and hitting a mailbox. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many California drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (California limits are 15/30/5), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy's liability coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for bills like EMT expenses, rehabilitation expenses and X-ray expenses. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers both the driver and occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like hail damage, vandalism and hitting a deer. The highest amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Cheaper coverage is out there
You just learned some good ideas how to save on insurance in Santa Rosa. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company.
Budget-friendly insurance in Santa Rosa can be found online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not offer rates over the internet and usually these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
Drivers switch companies for a variety of reasons including high prices, delays in responding to claim requests, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is not as hard as you think.
To learn more, take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 4x4 Vehicles in California? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 21 in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Mazda CX-7 in California? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Los Angeles, CA? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Warning systems don't curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)