Would you like to stop overpaying and find more competitive insurance rates in Novato, CA? When searching for lower-cost insurance, do you get frustrated by the wide range of insurance sources in Novato? California drivers have so many options that it can be a lot of work to lower your premium rates. Novato has lots to offer, but the high premiums for insurance can make it impossible to affordably insure vehicles.
Unthinkable but true, almost 70% of drivers have bought insurance from the same company for well over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. Novato drivers can cut their rates by roughly 35% a year just by shopping around, but most undervalue the amount of savings they would get if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Learn how to lower your auto insurance rates
When buying auto insurance it's important to understand some of the factors that help determine your auto insurance rates. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in big savings.
- Pay more out-of-pocket - Your deductibles state the amount of money the insured will be required to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are rearending another vehicle, fire damage, or theft of your vehicle. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less money you will pay for auto insurance.
- Responsible credit saves on auto insurance - Having a bad credit history is a big factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. People that have very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers who have worse credit. If your credit score is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Never let your auto insurance expire - Driving any period of time without insurance is a misdemeanor and companies may charge more for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Add-on coverages can waste money - Insurance companies have many extra add-on coverages that can add up if you don't pay attention. Insurance for replacement cost coverage, towing, and extra equipment coverage are probably not needed. The coverages may be enticing when discussing your needs, but if you've never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
- Cheaper premiums with safer cars - Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower rates of occupant injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you. If your car, truck, or SUV is rated at a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Optional features that lower prices - Selecting a car model that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help prevent auto theft.
- When should you file a insurance claims? - If you file claims often, don't be surprised to see higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in California provide discounts to insureds who do not file claims often. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Costs are affected by your address - Having an address in less populated areas of the country is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. Residents of big cities have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers and short commutes means a lower chance of having an accident as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
When shopping for cheaper Novato car insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from insurance companies in your area. The easiest way by far to find the cheapest insurance rates is to jump online and get quotes.
When comparison shopping, comparing more quotes helps locate better pricing.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer quotes in Novato, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,916||$958||$160|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$1,936||$968||$161|
|Dodge Grand Caravan CV||$1,414||$707||$118|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$1,368||$684||$114|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$1,136||$568||$95|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Ford F-150 FX4 4WD||$1,608||$804||$134|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,680||$840||$140|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$868||$434||$72|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Honda Odyssey EX W/Rear Entertainment||$1,528||$764||$127|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,648||$824||$137|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,664||$832||$139|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$1,164||$582||$97|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in your specific Novato location which can influence auto insurance rates greatly.
Higher deductibles save money
The diagram below demonstrates how deductible levels and can increase or decrease Dodge Ram insurance costs for different insured age categories. The prices are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Auto insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Novato, insurance is required in California but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over the higher premium.
- Auto insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle gets damaged, your auto insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle definitely exceed the price paid, especially for larger claims. An average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so it's important to compare rates at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Save money on insurance with these discounts
Some providers don't necessarily list all available discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below contains both well-publicized and the more hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- 55 and Retired - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you are able to get better insurance rates.
- Drive Safe and Save - Safe drivers can save as much as half off their rates as compared to drivers with claims.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Select companies give a discount for switching companies before your current policy expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying coverage for all your vehicles with the same insurance company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Paperwork-free - Certain insurance companies will give a small break for signing up over the internet.
- New Vehicle Savings - Adding a new car to your policy may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Membership in Organizations - Being in a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on your bill.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Military Discounts - Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
Please keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, you aren't that lucky. But any discount will bring down the premium cost.
Popular insurance companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- State Farm offers discounts including good student, multiple policy, accident-free, student away at school, driver's education, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and defensive driving training.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including alternative fuel, distant student, youthful driver, bundle discounts, and early shopping.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO has savings for five-year accident-free, daytime running lights, military active duty, multi-vehicle, driver training, good student, and defensive driver.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers premium reductions for teen driver, safe vehicle, anti-theft, multi-policy, good student, student away at school, and mature driver.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for air bag, vehicle fuel type, bundle, good student, and anti-theft.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for youthful driver, driver training, safe driver, multi-vehicle, good student, and 55 and retired.
- USAA includes discounts for defensive driver, good student, annual mileage, driver training, and safe driver.
If you need inexpensive Novato car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company to give you their best rates. All car insurance discounts may not be available in every state. To see a list of insurers with discount rates in Novato, click here.
Auto insurance can be complex
When it comes to your policy for your personal vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Your needs are unique to you.
For example, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need an agent's assistance.
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Cover all your bases
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, lack of trust in their agent, delays in paying claims or even questionable increases in premium. Whatever your reason, switching companies can be less work than you think.
When shopping online for insurance, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed collision coverage and discovered at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. The goal is to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
In this article, we presented many ideas to reduce insurance prices online in Novato. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest prices come from a small local company.
Additional detailed information is available in these articles:
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Ride Shares in California? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Business Use in California? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Santa Ana, California? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in San Francisco, California? (FAQ)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)