Searching for low-cost insurance for your Honda CR-V in California can be difficult, but you can learn the following methods to find lower rates.
There are both good and bad ways to find insurance online so we're going to tell you the absolute fastest way to compare rates on a Honda and find the lowest price either online or from San Diego insurance agents.
Quoting and comparing more affordable car insurance policy in San Diego is not as time-consuming as you think. If you're already insured or are shopping for new coverage, use these money-saving tips to get lower rates while maintaining coverages. Drivers just need to learn the most effective way to compare prices online.
Car insurance discounts are available to get cheap rates
Some providers don't list all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the best known and also the lesser-known credits available to you.
- Distant Student - Children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home could qualify for this discount.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having an actively deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Low Mileage - Low mileage vehicles could qualify for lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- San Diego Homeowners Pay Less - Owning a home in San Diego can get you a discount because it means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Use Seat Belts - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up could cut 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Theft Deterrent - Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more on CR-V insurance in San Diego.
- Claim-Free Discount - San Diego drivers who stay claim-free can save substantially in comparison to drivers who are more careless.
- Paperwork-free - Some car insurance companies will give a small break simply for signing on the internet.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Passive Restraints - Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, you aren't that lucky.
Large car insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts include:
- State Farm may offer discounts for multiple autos, passive restraint, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, and student away at school.
- Esurance offers discounts for claim free, safety device, multi-policy, anti-theft, online quote, and multi-car.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and online signing.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including newly married, hybrid vehicle, preferred payment discount, teen driver discount, and new move discount.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has discounts for safe vehicle, mature driver, teen driver, student away at school, and paperless.
- GEICO includes discounts for anti-theft, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, membership and employees, daytime running lights, and military active duty.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each insurance company how you can save money. A few discounts may not be offered in your state. To see insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in California, click this link.
Getting a cheaper price on Honda CR-V insurance doesn't have to be difficult. The only thing you need to do is invest a little time to get quotes to find out which insurance company has inexpensive San Diego car insurance quotes.
The providers in the list below can provide free quotes in California. In order to find cheap car insurance in California, it's highly recommended you click on several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|CR-V LX 2WD||$208||$392||$424||$26||$128||$1,178||$98|
|CR-V EX 2WD||$208||$374||$394||$24||$118||$1,118||$93|
|CR-V LX 4WD||$236||$438||$454||$26||$136||$1,290||$108|
|CR-V EX 4WD||$204||$292||$384||$22||$114||$1,016||$85|
|CR-V EX-L 2WD||$326||$554||$424||$26||$128||$1,458||$122|
|CR-V EX-L 4WD||$368||$554||$384||$22||$114||$1,442||$120|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Price information does not factor in specific garaging location which can increase or decrease price quotes significantly.
Gender differences in car insurance premiums
The information below visualizes the comparison of Honda CR-V insurance rates for male and female drivers. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Should you raise deductibles?
The example below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can impact Honda CR-V insurance costs for different insured age categories. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no other discounts are factored in.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The diagram below shows the difference between Honda CR-V auto insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The prices are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, married female driver, and no discounts are applied.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no exact rule that is best for determining when to drop full coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's say your Honda CR-V settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If you are currently paying more than $700 a year for physical damage coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are a few situations where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should maintain full coverage.
Can't I compare rate quotes from local San Diego auto insurance agents?
Some consumers still prefer to have an agent's advice and that is OK! Professional insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheaper prices and still have a local agent. Supporting neighborhood agents is definitely important in San Diego.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in San Diego who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to contact an agency as quotes are delivered directly to your email. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance provider, you would need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right insurer is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
Once you have received satisfactory answers to any questions you may have as well as an affordable premium quote, you may have found an provider that is professional and can adequately provide insurance. It's important to know that once you purchase a policy you can terminate coverage any time you want so don't think you are locked into the insurance policy for the full policy term.
Why you need quality insurance for your Honda vehicle
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in San Diego, auto insurance serves several important purposes.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda at an extremely high rate and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Honda gets damaged, your auto insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. An average driver in America is wasting up to $830 a year so compare rates every year to save money.
Auto insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of insurance helps when choosing appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like falling objects, fire damage, vandalism and rock chips in glass. The maximum amount your insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value consider dropping full coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (California limits are 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Medical expense insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for immediate expenses for things like nursing services, ambulance fees, doctor visits, rehabilitation expenses and surgery. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability insurance protects you from damage or injury you incur to other's property or people that is your fault. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000. Alternatively, you may have a combined limit which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for things such as medical expenses, loss of income, repair costs for stationary objects and attorney fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but you should buy higher limits if possible. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry higher limits.
This coverage pays for damage to your CR-V resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things like rolling your car, hitting a parking meter, driving through your garage door and backing into a parked car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your CR-V to bring the cost down.
Don't give up on cheaper rates
You just read quite a bit of information on how to lower your Honda CR-V insurance car insurance rates in San Diego. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the biggest savings come from the least-expected company.
As you prepare to switch companies, it's not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed full coverage only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
Some auto insurance companies don't offer online rate quotes and usually these smaller providers only sell coverage through local independent agents. Budget-friendly auto insurance in San Diego can be bought on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Much more information about auto insurance in California is available at these links:
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Police Officers in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap California Auto Insurance Quotes for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Bakersfield, California? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)