Comparing and finding cheaper prices for auto insurance is nearly impossible for drivers who are new to comparing rates online. With such a large number of insurers available, it can quickly become more work than you anticipated to find the best price in California on auto insurance.
A recent auto insurance study discovered that the vast majority of consumers in California kept buying from the same company for at least four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Most drivers in the U.S. can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they don't know the actual amount they would save if they just switched companies.
When price shopping your coverage, making a lot of price comparisons helps you find more affordable insurance. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide quotes over the internet, so you should also compare quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in California. If your goal is to find cheap car insurance in California, it's a good idea that you compare several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,298||$649||$108|
|Chevrolet Malibu LTZ||$1,252||$626||$104|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,348||$674||$112|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$1,530||$765||$128|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,094||$547||$91|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,310||$655||$109|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,536||$768||$128|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$1,650||$825||$138|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,868||$934||$156|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$1,212||$606||$101|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$1,296||$648||$108|
|Kia Optima EX||$1,410||$705||$118|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,124||$562||$94|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,404||$702||$117|
|Toyota RAV4 Sport 2WD||$1,752||$876||$146|
|Toyota Tacoma 4WD||$1,604||$802||$134|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Premium costs do not factor in specific location which can affect rates substantially.
Policy deductible comparison
The example below highlights how deductible selection and can affect Ford Fusion annual premium costs for different age groups. The premium estimates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance rates by gender
The illustration below illustrates the difference between car insurance costs for male and female drivers in Antioch. Data assumes no accidents or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration on a Toyota Corolla S.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Do you qualify for discounts on car insurance?
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but you might already qualify for some discounts that you may not know about. Most are applied at quote time, but less common discounts must be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Multi-line Discount - Select car insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Home Ownership Discount - Owning your own home or condo may trigger a policy discount on car insurance since home ownership requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers who don't have accidents can earn big discounts when compared with frequent claim filers.
- E-sign - Certain car insurance companies provide a small discount shop Antioch auto insurance on the internet.
- Military Discounts - Being on active deployment in the military can result in better prices.
- Professional Memberships - Being a member of a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break on car insurance.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Forcing all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers that enable companies to scrutinize driving habits remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could possibly reduce rates as long as the data is positive.
You should keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won't be that lucky.
For a list of companies with the best discounts in Antioch, click this link.
Smart buyers can cut their auto insurance rates
Many factors are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your commute time.
Listed below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate rates.
- With age comes responsibility - Mature drivers have been proven to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable.Teen drivers are known to be less responsible when driving with friends therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Combine policies with the same company - Most larger companies afford lower prices to people that have more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. If you currently are using one company, it's in your best interest to check prices from other companies to ensure the best deal.
- Performance makes a difference - The type of car, truck or SUV you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a significant difference in your rates. The lowest rates will generally be found on small economy passenger cars, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Cars with good safety ratings means cheaper insurance - Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles built for safety help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and any reduction in injury severity means your insurance company pays less which can result in lower premiums. If your car, truck, or SUV earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org you may be receiving a better rate.
- Good credit saves on auto insurance - Having a good credit score is a big factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. People with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with bad credit. If your credit history is low, you could save money insuring your vehicle by improving your rating.
- More people means more accidents - Living in less populated areas can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers and short commutes means less chance of accidents and a lower car theft rate. City drivers regularly have more road rage incidents and more severe claims. The longer drive time means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
- If you don't need it don't buy it - Policies have optional add-on coverages that you can buy on your auto insurance policy. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, better glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships are some examples. The coverages may be enticing when deciding what coverages you need, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so remove them and pocket the money.
Local neighborhood Antioch car insurance agents
Certain consumers prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move A good thing about comparing car insurance online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is transmitted to companies in Antioch that provide free Antioch auto insurance quotes for your business. You won't even need to find an agent because prices are sent instantly to you. Get lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an provider requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Any good agent in Antioch should know the answers to these questions.
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Antioch?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- How many years have they been established?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
Once you have received good answers to any questions you have as well as an affordable premium quote, you may have found an insurer that is a good match to provide car insurance coverage.
Insurance agents can help
Always remember that when buying proper insurance coverage, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Antioch?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in California?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it's worth?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in California?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
The largest companies are not always cheapest
21st Century, Allstate and State Farm seem to constantly run ads on TV and radio. They all make the point about savings if you just switch your car insurance policy to them. How do they all offer you a better deal on car insurance? It's all in the wording.
Most companies have an ideal profile for the type of customer that makes them money. A good example of a profitable risk profile might be over the age of 45, has never had a policy lapse, and drives a safe vehicle. Anybody who fits those characteristics gets the lowest rates and will most likely save a lot of money.
People who fall outside the "perfect" profile will be quoted a higher premium with the end result being business going elsewhere. If you listen closely, the ads state "people that switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" will save that much if they switch. That is how insurance companies can confidently make those statements. This emphasizes why it is so important to compare quotes as often as possible. It's impossible to know which car insurance company will have the lowest rates for your situation.
Consumers switch companies for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions, poor customer service and even extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider can be easier than you think.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to find cheaper coverage online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Antioch auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from the smaller companies.
A few companies do not provide online quoting and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents. Cheaper car insurance in Antioch is definitely available on the web in addition to many Antioch insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Additional car insurance information can be found at the links below
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Teachers in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in California? (FAQ)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)