Do you want a faster way to compare more competitive insurance rates in Walnut Creek, CA? Are you kicking yourself for buying an overpriced insurance policy? Say no more because there are lots of Walnut Creek residents who feel the same.
It's shocking but over 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for well over three years, and just under half have never compared insurance rates at all. California insurance shoppers can save hundreds of dollars each year, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they changed companies. There is such a variety of insurers to choose from, and although it's nice to have a selection, lots of choices makes it harder to find the best rates for your vehicles.
It is always a good idea to get comparison quotes on a regular basis because insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you think you had the best rates on insurance two years ago there may be better deals available now. Ignore everything you know about insurance because I'm going to teach you the fastest way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Walnut Creek is not that difficult. If you currently have car insurance, you will definitely be able to lower your rates using the concepts you're about to learn. Consumers just have to understand the fastest way to compare prices instantly.
Car insurance companies in Walnut Creek
The companies in the list below offer free rate quotes in California. To locate the cheapest car insurance in California, we suggest you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,620||$810||$135|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$1,652||$826||$138|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,800||$900||$150|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,134||$567||$95|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$1,520||$760||$127|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,374||$687||$115|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$1,626||$813||$136|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,672||$836||$139|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,336||$668||$111|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,536||$768||$128|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$1,422||$711||$119|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,344||$672||$112|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,464||$732||$122|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,626||$813||$136|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rate quotes do not factor in zip code location which can impact premium rates considerably.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The information below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Camry auto insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in California. Data assumes no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, married female driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no exact formula to stop buying physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's say your Toyota Camry book value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $6,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying more than $600 a year for physical damage coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Car insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might already qualify for some discounts to help bring down the price. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but some need to be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars with ABS and/or traction control have fewer accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- First Accident Forgiveness - Not really a discount, but some insurance companies will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- No Claims - Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Clubs and Organizations - Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Walnut Creek could qualify you for a break when getting a Walnut Creek auto insurance quote.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying in monthly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Passive Restraints - Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Student Driver Training - Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver's ed class if offered at their school.
- Paper-free Discount - A few larger online companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car instead of a used car can cost up to 25% less because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
It's important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won't be that lucky.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts are outlined below.
- 21st Century offers discounts for student driver, early bird, driver training, defensive driver, automatic seat belts, theft prevention, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, and online signing.
- State Farm includes discounts for accident-free, good driver, driver's education, safe vehicle, student away at school, and multiple policy.
- Nationwide may offer discounts for easy pay, accident-free, anti-theft, business or organization, and defensive driving.
- Esurance has savings for good driver, safety device, claim free, DriveSense, Pac-12 alumni, defensive driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford offers discounts including air bag, anti-theft, defensive driver, driver training, and vehicle fuel type.
If you need lower rates, check with each company which discounts they offer. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policyholders in Walnut Creek. To find car insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, click here.
Do I need an insurance agency?
Many people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! Good insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you may find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes for your coverage. You don't have to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an company shouldn't rely on just the price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- How are claims handled?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
Two types of car insurance agents
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a reliable agent, there are two types of agencies to choose from. Car insurance agents can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand how they are different since it could factor into your agent selection.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents write business for a single company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on what they offer which can be an advantage.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a cheaper price, they simply switch companies in-house and you don't have to find a new agent.
When comparing car insurance rates, you will definitely want to include a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Lower-priced car insurance in Walnut Creek can be purchased both online in addition to many Walnut Creek insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some car insurance companies may not offer online rate quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your objective should be to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price, but do not skimp to save money.
We've covered a lot of tips how to save on car insurance in Walnut Creek. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest prices come from the smaller companies. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
For more information, link through to the resources below:
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap California Auto Insurance for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Fremont, California? (FAQ)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)