Shopping for lower priced quotes on the internet can be difficult for drivers not familiar with comparing and buying auto insurance on the internet. With such a large number of companies competing online, how are drivers expected to effectively compare every one to find the cheapest rates?
It's hard to fathom, but most auto insurance buyers have remained with the same auto insurance company for well over three years, and 38% of customers have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. With the average premium in California being $1,400, drivers could save as much as $469 each year by just comparing quotes, but they don't invest the time required to compare rate quotes.
You need to quote other rates yearly because auto insurance prices change frequently. Just because you had the best deal on auto insurance a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you're going to get a crash course in the right way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Which car insurance is cheapest in La Palma, CA?
When shopping for inexpensive La Palma auto insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways of comparing price quotes from all the different companies. The best method to find the cheapest insurance rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. When quoting car insurance, remember that quoting more will enable you to find a lower rate than you're paying now.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free quotes in California. If you want to find cheap car insurance in California, we suggest you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,280||$640||$107|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,568||$784||$131|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$1,648||$824||$137|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Hero||$1,688||$844||$141|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Ford F-150 FX4 4WD||$1,498||$749||$125|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,512||$756||$126|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,482||$741||$124|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Honda Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$2,140||$1,070||$178|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4WD 4-Dr||$1,334||$667||$111|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,514||$757||$126|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,416||$708||$118|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can decrease or increase coverage rates noticeably.
Annual premiums for males compared to females
The diagram below illustrates the difference between auto insurance costs for male and female drivers in La Palma. The information is based on no accidents or driving violations, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no additional discounts are factored in on a Honda Accord EX-L.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in La Palma, buying insurance serves an important purpose.
First, almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will require that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the bank may insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance preserves both your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $750 every year so shop around each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
How to lower your auto insurance rates
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that come into play when calculating your premiums. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this enables informed choices that can help you get big savings. Lots of things are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but some are less apparent such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
The itemized list below are some of the most common factors used by insurance companies to determine your rate level.
- Alarms and GPS tracking lowers prices - Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems help track and prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Drive less and pay lower prices - The more miles you rack up on your car annually the more it will cost to insure it. Many insurance companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos that do not get driven very much get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet is rated on the correct driver usage.
- What type of car, truck or SUV do you drive? - The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in your auto insurance rates. The most favorable rates are for smaller low performance passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Insurance rates and driver gender - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn't mean women are better drivers. Both genders cause accidents at a similar rate, but the males cause more damage. Not only are claims higher, but men get higher numbers of serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving. Male teenagers are most likely to cause an accident and therefore pay the highest rates.
Get discounts to get affordable La Palma insurance rates
Companies that sell car insurance don't always list all possible discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below contains some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you buy La Palma auto insurance online.
- Student in College - Youth drivers who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Accident Waiver - This isn't a discount exactly, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm will forgive one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Buying a new car model can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Just owning your own home can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Multi-car Discount - Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles on a single policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Pay Early and Save - By making one initial payment instead of paying each month you could save up to 5%.
- Driver's Education for Students - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Government Employees - Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Anti-theft System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
As a sidenote, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think you could get a free insurance policy, companies don't profit that way.
Some of the insurance companies that may offer most of these discounts include:
Before buying, ask all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts might not apply everywhere. To locate insurance companies that offer the discounts shown above in California, click here to view.
Your auto insurance coverage should be tailored to you
Always remember that when buying a policy, there is no "perfect" insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's so your insurance needs to address that. These are some specific questions might point out if your situation could use an agent's help.
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Is other people's property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
- Is pet coverage available?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Is my trailer covered?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Buying from insurance agents
Many people still like to have an agent's advice and we recommend doing that The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find cheap car insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in La Palma who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. You don't have to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. You can most likely find cheaper rates without requiring a lot of work. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Selecting an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. These questions are important to ask:
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Where would glass claims be handled in La Palma?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Does their agency support local causes in La Palma?
If you are searching for local La Palma agents, there are two different agency structures and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agencies can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive insurance agents generally can only insure with one company such as Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so keep that in mind. These agents are highly trained on the products they sell and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some insured continue to purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand rather than low rates.
Agents that elect to be independent are normally appointed by many insurers so they have the ability to put coverage through lots of different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can just switch to a different company and you stay with the same agent.
When searching for an agent, we highly recommend that you include price quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection. They also have the ability to place coverage with different regional companies which can be an advantage.
One last note
There are still a few companies who do not provide price quotes online and many times these regional carriers sell through independent agents. Budget-conscious auto insurance is available both online as well as from independent agents in La Palma, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis.
We just covered quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on auto insurance in La Palma. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote La Palma auto insurance, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest prices come from the least-expected company. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
As you quote La Palma auto insurance, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, someone sacrificed full coverage only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Much more information about auto insurance in California can be found on the following sites:
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Huntington Beach, California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in San Bernardino, California? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Single Moms in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Hyundai Elantra in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Dodge Journey in California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Fontana, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Car Insurance for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Good Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)