Has it been over a year since you last compared quotes for more competitive insurance rates in Torrance, CA? No sane person rejoices having to buy insurance, particularly when they could find lower prices if they just compared rates.
Unfortunately, nearly 70% of customers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and nearly half have never quoted rates to find lower-cost coverage. U.S. consumers could save an average of as much as $850 each year just by comparing rates, but they assume it's a waste of time to find lower-cost insurance rates. Big companies like GEICO and Progressive promote their brand names with ads and it can be hard to ignore the flashy ads and do the work needed to find the best deal.
The best way to get policy rate comparisons utilizes the fact most of the larger companies allow for online access to give you rate quotes. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information including the ages of drivers, how much coverage you want, whether your vehicle is owned or leased, and an estimate of your credit level. The data is instantly sent to insurance carriers in your area and they provide comparison quotes very quickly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Torrance.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Torrance, CA. If you want cheaper car insurance in California, we suggest you visit several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,396||$698||$116|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$2,056||$1,028||$171|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,132||$566||$94|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$1,276||$638||$106|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,292||$646||$108|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,640||$820||$137|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,324||$662||$110|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$1,538||$769||$128|
|Honda Odyssey Touring||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2WD 4-Dr||$1,382||$691||$115|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,618||$809||$135|
|Nissan Rogue S 2WD||$1,596||$798||$133|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,490||$745||$124|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,454||$727||$121|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road Package 4WD||$1,416||$708||$118|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can decrease or increase premiums substantially.
Does full coverage make sense?
The example below examines Chevrolet Malibu auto insurance rates with full coverage and liability only. The costs are based on no violations or accidents, $1,000 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are applied.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There isn't a steadfast formula of when to phase out full coverage, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Chevrolet Malibu claim settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If it's costing you more than $600 a year to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not opt for liability only.
Impact of violations and accidents on rates
The diagram below shows how traffic citations and accidents can influence Kia Optima auto insurance rates for different age categories. The premiums are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Take these eight policy discounts and save on car insurance
Some providers don't list every discount they offer very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Defensive Driver - Taking time to complete a class that teaches driver safety techniques could save 5% or more and also improve your driving technique.
- Government Employee Discount - Simply working for the federal government may reduce rates when you quote Torrance car insurance with select insurance companies.
- Torrance Homeowners Discount - Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because maintaining a house requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not necessarily a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will let one accident slide without getting socked with a rate hike as long as you don't have any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Theft Deterrent System - Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will save you 10% or more.
- Student Discounts - Being a good student can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance Discount - Insurance carriers who offer life insurance give a lower car insurance rate if you buy life insurance from them.
As is typical with insurance, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, you aren't that lucky.
Large car insurance companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for business and professional, youthful driver, good student, teen driver, and switch companies.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, driver's education, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, and defensive driving training.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for teen driver discount, new move discount, new graduate, new vehicle discount, safety features, and preferred payment discount.
- MetLife has discounts for accident-free, defensive driver, multi-policy, claim-free, good driver, good student
- Progressive may have discounts that include online signing, good student, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company or agent which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state.
Local neighborhood agents and auto insurance
Some consumers just prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Good insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes to get your business. There is no reason to find an agent because prices are sent directly to you. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you just need to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Picking the best insurance company should depend on more than just the quoted price. Any agent in Torrance should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Torrance?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- When do they do policy reviews?
Two types of auto insurance agents
When searching for a reputable agency, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they can service your needs differently. Auto insurance agencies may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can write auto insurance policies, but we need to point out the subtle differences because it can factor into your agent selection.
These agents have only one company to place business with and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel can quote rates with many companies so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, your agent can just switch to a different company and that require little work on your part. When comparing rate quotes, you will want to get insurance quotes from multiple independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Do I need special coverages?
When quoting and comparing your policy, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions can help discover if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- How much liability coverage do I need in California?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Auto insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Even though rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle for a much higher rate and make you pay the higher price.
- Auto insurance preserves both your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in America overpays more than $869 every year so you should quote rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Auto insurance specifics
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy aids in choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things like rock chips in glass, vandalism and hail damage. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This coverage covers damage to your vehicle caused by collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things like hitting a mailbox, sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible to bring the cost down.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for expenses like doctor visits, hospital visits, X-ray expenses, nursing services and dental work. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers all vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Coverage for liability
This will cover damage or injury you incur to a person or their property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you against other people's claims. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see values of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as structural damage, funeral expenses and court costs. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This provides protection when the "other guys" either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many California drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (California limits are 15/30/5), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Be persistent to save money
We've covered many tips how you can shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Some insurance providers don't offer the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies sell through independent agents. Cheaper auto insurance in Torrance can be sourced from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Torrance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection.
People who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including policy non-renewal, questionable increases in premium, delays in responding to claim requests and even delays in paying claims. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching companies is less work than it seems.
Much more information about auto insurance in California is located below:
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Immigrants in California? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)