Want to learn how to buy more competitive auto insurance rates in Tracy, CA? Price shopping your auto insurance is always frustrating for beginners to online price comparisons. With such a large choice of insurance companies available, it can turn into a ton of work to find better rates on auto insurance.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of auto insurance customers have bought auto insurance from the same company for more than four years, and just short of a majority have never even compared rates from other companies. With the average premium in California being $1,387, drivers could cut their rates by approximately $469 a year, but they don't know the benefits if they replace their high priced policy.
It's a good habit to shop coverage around before your next renewal because insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you got the lowest premium rates on auto insurance on your last policy the chances are good that you can find a lower price today. You can find a lot of wrong information about auto insurance on the web, but in a few minutes you can learn some tested techniques to slash your auto insurance rates in Tracy.
Finding affordable insurance coverage in Tracy can initially seem challenging. If you have insurance now, you should be able to reduce the price you pay using the concepts covered in this article. But California drivers need to learn how insurance companies charge you for coverage and take advantage of how the system works.
Keep in mind that comparing a wide range of rates will increase your chances of finding the best offered rates.
The auto insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Tracy, CA. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you get rates from several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 2WD||$1,408||$704||$117|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$1,332||$666||$111|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$1,656||$828||$138|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Hero||$1,752||$876||$146|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$1,734||$867||$145|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,298||$649||$108|
|Ford Explorer Limited 2WD||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,136||$568||$95|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,536||$768||$128|
|GMC Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$1,382||$691||$115|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$1,294||$647||$108|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$1,958||$979||$163|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$1,458||$729||$122|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,800||$900||$150|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Toyota Camry SE||$2,022||$1,011||$169|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,490||$745||$124|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Table data does not factor in specific location which can alter coverage rates greatly.
Premiums by gender and age
The diagram below shows the difference between annual premium costs for male and female drivers in Tracy. The information is based on no accidents or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in on a Kia Optima EX.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Rate comparison for different deductibles
When shopping for car insurance, a common question is how high should your deductibles be. The following tables highlight the rate differences when you choose different coverage deductibles. The first data table uses a $100 physical damage coverage deductible and the second set of prices uses a $500 deductible.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$686||$442||$26||$132||$1,643||$137|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$332||$810||$552||$32||$166||$1,917||$160|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$332||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,767||$147|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$332||$932||$552||$32||$166||$2,039||$170|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$380||$932||$442||$26||$132||$1,937||$161|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$380||$932||$442||$26||$132||$1,937||$161|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$380||$932||$552||$32||$166||$2,087||$174|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$380||$932||$442||$26||$132||$1,937||$161|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$380||$932||$552||$32||$166||$2,087||$174|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$430||$810||$442||$26||$132||$1,865||$155|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$430||$1054||$552||$32||$166||$2,259||$188|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$464||$442||$26||$132||$1,306||$109|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$242||$546||$552||$32||$166||$1,538||$128|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,388||$116|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$242||$630||$552||$32||$166||$1,622||$135|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$278||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,508||$126|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$278||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,508||$126|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$278||$630||$552||$32||$166||$1,658||$138|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$278||$630||$442||$26||$132||$1,508||$126|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$278||$630||$552||$32||$166||$1,658||$138|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$314||$546||$442||$26||$132||$1,460||$122|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$314||$712||$552||$32||$166||$1,776||$148|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Price information does not factor in garaging location in Tracy which can alter auto insurance rates substantially.
We can estimate from the data above that using a $100 deductible will cost you roughly $33 more each month or $396 a year than opting for the higher $500 deductible. Because you would pay $400 more if you file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you go at a minimum 12 months between claim filings, you would most likely save money if you choose a higher deductible. The table below shows the way we made this calculation.
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$159|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $126|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$33|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $33|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||12 months|
An important sidenote is that increasing deductibles to save money means you pay more out-of-pocket when you have a claim. You must have enough extra money in the event you have to pay more for the deductible.
Where to set your deductibles
The information below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can change Hyundai Sonata insurance rates for different age groups of insureds. The rates are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Cheaper rates with these money saving discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you may qualify for discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you complete an application, but occasionally some discounts must be asked about in order for you to get them.
- Sign Early and Save - A few larger companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. It could save around 10% when you buy Tracy auto insurance online.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Having multiple cars on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Discount for New Cars - Adding a new car to your policy may earn a small discount since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking time to complete a defensive driving course could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims have much lower rates when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Auto/Life Discount - Larger companies have lower rates if you buy some life insurance too.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think it's possible to get free car insurance, you aren't that lucky. Any amount of discount will definitely reduce your premiums.
Car insurance companies that may offer policyholders some of the above discounts are:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company which credits you are entitled to. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Tracy. To choose providers that have a full spectrum of discounts in California, click this link.
Buying car insurance from Tracy insurance agents
Certain consumers prefer to buy from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision A good thing about price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information gets sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered directly to you. You'll get the best rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an insurance company requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. These questions are important to ask:
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Tracy?
- What companies can they write with?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you want a good insurance agency, it's important to understand the different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Tracy are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents work for only one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes use the same agent mainly due to the brand rather than low price.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel can sell policies from many different companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies amongst many companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, it's recommended you get quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to compare the most rates. Most also have access to additional companies that you may not be familiar with which may have better rates.
Auto insurance can get complicated
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent, there is no perfect coverage plan. Every insured's situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation may require specific advice.
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Why you might pay higher rates in Tracy
Lots of things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, although some other factors are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or your commute time. Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that aid in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in lower premium levels.
- Cheaper rates with high comp and collision deductibles - Insurance for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be collision with another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles you choose are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. The more expense you're willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
- Be proud to be claim-free - Auto insurance companies in California give better rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your insurance policy is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Teenagers vs. experienced drivers - Older insureds are proven to be safer behind the wheel, are lower risk to insure, and usually have better credit.Drivers with little experience have been known to get distracted easily with other occupants in the car therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Single drivers take more risk - Your spouse can get you a discount on your policy. It usually means you are less irresponsible and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Tracy, paying for auto insurance is required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most banks will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your car and your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $810 a year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Quote more and you will save more
We just covered many ways to compare auto insurance prices in Tracy. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Tracy auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Tracy auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from an unexpected company.
As you prepare to switch companies, it's not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, an insured dropped physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The aim is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Low-cost auto insurance in Tracy can be found both online and from local insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not provide online quoting and usually these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies.
To read more, link through to the articles below:
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 4x4 Vehicles in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Corolla in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Kia Forte in California? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 21 in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Retired Military in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Equinox? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)