Would you like to buy cheaper car insurance rates in Santa Barbara, CA? Finding better insurance prices for a car in California can normally be a lot of work, but you can use these tips to make it easier.
There is a better way to buy car insurance and we'll show you the proper way to get price quotes for a and obtain the lowest price from Santa Barbara insurance agents and online providers.
It's hard to fathom, but over 70% of consumers have remained with the same car insurance company for at least four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. With the average premium in California being $1,387, drivers could save themselves as much as $500 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they won't spend time to compare other rate quotes.
Affordable Santa Barbara insurance rates with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you may find discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Many discounts should be triggered when you complete an application, but some discounts are required to be inquired about before being credited.
- Military Rewards - Having an actively deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Federal Government Employee - Having worked for a branch of the government could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- Good Students Pay Less - Maintaining excellent grades may save as much as 25% on a Santa Barbara auto insurance quote. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers - Drivers who don't get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Auto/Home Discount - When you have multiple policies with the same company you will save nearly 15% which can help you find the cheapest Santa Barbara auto insurance.
- E-sign - A few larger online companies will give you a small discount shop Santa Barbara auto insurance digitally online.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Membership in Organizations - Being a member of certain professional organizations may earn a discount on your next renewal.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Successfully completing a driver safety class may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Telematics Devices - Drivers that enable their company to spy on when and where they use their vehicle remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
Don't be surprised that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, you aren't that lucky. Any amount of discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
If you would like to view insurers who offer free insurance quotes in Santa Barbara, follow this link.
Finding cheap insurance prices isn't really that difficult. You just need to take the time comparing rate quotes to find the company with cheaper Santa Barbara auto insurance quotes.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Santa Barbara, CA. If you want the best car insurance in California, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS 2WD||$1,348||$674||$112|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$1,162||$581||$97|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$1,872||$936||$156|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$1,212||$606||$101|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,554||$777||$130|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,358||$679||$113|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$1,220||$610||$102|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,840||$920||$153|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,904||$952||$159|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 2.5 Station Wagon||$942||$471||$79|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Prices do not factor in garaging location in Santa Barbara which can modify price quotes significantly.
Santa Barbara insurance costs by age and gender
The example below visualizes the comparison of car insurance rates for male and female drivers in Santa Barbara. The premium estimates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, full coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no policy discounts are applied on a Ford Escape XLS.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Rate increases following a ticket or accident
The diagram below illustrates how speeding tickets and accident claims can influence Ford F-150 car insurance rates for each age group. The costs are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Ford F-150 rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Can higher deductibles save money?
The chart below demonstrates how deductibles and can increase or decrease Ford Fusion yearly insurance costs for different age groups. The information is based on a married female driver, full coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Good decisions result in lower rates
Lots of things are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but other criteria are less apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
Alarms and GPS tracking systems cut rates - Driving a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your insurance. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack can help prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
Adjust coverage deductibles and save - Physical damage protection, aka comp and collision, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered are a windshield shattered by a rock, flood damage, and windstorm damage. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles define how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more expense you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Get hitched and get cheaper costs - Getting married can actually save you money on your policy. Marriage translates into being more mature than a single person and statistics prove married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Are you male or female? - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. It does not mean men are worse drivers. Women and men cause at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but guys get into accidents with more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers generally have the highest accident percentage and therefore have the most expensive insurance rates.
Responsible credit scores equal low costs - Your credit history will be a significant factor in calculating your insurance rates. Therefore, if your credit rating leaves room for improvement, you could pay less to insure your vehicle if you clean up your credit. Insureds with excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers with lower credit scores.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When choosing your policy, there is no cookie cutter policy. You are unique so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Does coverage extend to my business vehicle?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- How high should deductibles be on a vehicle?
If you can't answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can help protect your family.
When to have guidance from a local insurance agent
Some consumers still prefer to go talk to an agent and that can be a smart move Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get better rates and still have a local agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is especially important in Santa Barbara.
Upon completion of this short form, the coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Santa Barbara who will give you quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent directly to your email. If you wish to quote rates from a particular provider, just jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Choose an insurance agent wisely
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a local Santa Barbara insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they can write your policy. Agencies in Santa Barbara are either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either type can provide auto insurance policies, but it's a good idea to understand the differences because it can factor into your agent selection.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that is an advantage because they can write policies with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house and you won't have to switch agencies.
When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to contact multiple independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. Most also have access to different regional companies which can save you money.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only place business with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company's prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are trained well in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Many people use the same agent mostly because of the prominence of the brand rather than having the cheapest rates.
Picking a insurance agency should depend on more than just the price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
Upon receiving satisfactory answers to any questions you may have and an affordable coverage quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that can be trusted to adequately provide auto insurance. Just keep in mind you can always terminate your policy whenever you wish so don't feel that you are permanently stuck with a policy for the entire policy term.
Insuring your vehicle just makes sense
Even though it can be expensive, insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in California overpays as much as $865 each year so we recommend shopping around each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Quote often and quote early
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of tips how to save on auto insurance in Santa Barbara. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting cheap Santa Barbara auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the best rates are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. These companies can often provide lower car insurance rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
Some companies may not provide online price quotes and these smaller providers only sell through independent agents. The cheapest auto insurance in Santa Barbara is attainable both online as well as from insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection.
Much more information about auto insurance in California can be read at these links:
- Think You're a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Corolla in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for High School Students in California? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Modesto, CA? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)