No car owner fancies paying their premiums for auto insurance, especially when they know the price is too high.
Unbelievable but true, the vast majority of auto insurance customers in California have been with the same company for over three years, and just short of a majority have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. American consumers can cut their rates by approximately $859 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't want to take the time to compare rates and save money.
Online insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive persitently shower you with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to separate fact from fiction and find the best price available.
You need to take a look at other company's rates once or twice a year because prices are variable and change quite frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rate on auto insurance six months ago a different company probably has better premium rates today. There is lot of inaccurate information about auto insurance online but by reading this article, you're going to learn some solid techniques on how to put money back in your pocket.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that making a lot of price comparisons increases your odds of finding better pricing.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide quotes in California. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in California, we suggest you visit several of them to find the lowest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,672||$836||$139|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,690||$845||$141|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,124||$562||$94|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,766||$883||$147|
|GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,486||$743||$124|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,298||$649||$108|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$1,134||$567||$95|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,616||$808||$135|
|Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2-Dr||$1,310||$655||$109|
|Kia Optima LX||$1,538||$769||$128|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,616||$808||$135|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,568||$784||$131|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$2,022||$1,011||$169|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,874||$937||$156|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and claim-free. Premium costs do not factor in vehicle location which can influence rates substantially.
Auto insurance rates based on gender
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of car insurance costs for male and female drivers in La Mesa. The prices are based on no claims or violations, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied on a Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ.
Chevrolet Tahoe rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductible comparison
When buying auto insurance, a common question is how low should you set your deductibles. The comparison tables below can help show how much more you'll pay of buying low and high comp and collision deductibles. The first rate estimation uses a $250 deductible and the second pricing table uses a $1,000 deductible.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$342||$472||$442||$26||$132||$1,439||$120|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$386||$472||$442||$26||$132||$1,483||$124|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$386||$472||$442||$26||$132||$1,483||$124|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$386||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,587||$132|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$210||$298||$442||$26||$132||$1,108||$92|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$238||$298||$442||$26||$132||$1,136||$95|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$238||$298||$442||$26||$132||$1,136||$95|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$238||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,200||$100|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$238||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,200||$100|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$238||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,200||$100|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$238||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,200||$100|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in garaging location in La Mesa which can decrease or increase coverage prices significantly.
We can estimate from the data above that using a $250 deductible costs an average of $31 more each month or $372 every year than quoting the higher $1,000 deductible. Due to the fact that you would have to pay $750 more to file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you go more than 24 months between claim filings, you would save money if you decide on a higher deductible.
Three main reasons to buy insurance
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in La Mesa, paying for insurance serves an important purpose.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and require you to fork over for it.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is wasting up to $850 per year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every policy renewal to save money.
How your La Mesa rates are determined
When buying auto insurance it's important to understand the different types of things that help determine your policy premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower rates. Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more transparent like your continuous coverage and annual miles driven.
The following are just a few of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Your vocation and auto insurance rates - Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Jobs such as military generals, executives and medical professionals generally have the highest average rates due to high stress levels and extremely grueling work hours. Other professions such as scientists, athletes and homemakers get better rates.
- Don't cancel your coverage without a new one in place - Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a guaranteed way to increase your auto insurance rates. Not only will rates go up, the inability to provide proof of insurance may earn you a revoked license or a big fine. Then you may be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the California DMV.
- Liability preserves assets - Your auto insurance policy's liability coverage is the protection in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to other policy coverages, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- See if your company offers a multi-policy discount - Most larger insurance companies provide a discount to insureds who have multiple policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount, you may still want to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money.There is a good possibility that you can find lower rates even if you insure with multiple companies
- Fast cars cost more to insure - The performance of the car, truck or SUV you are insuring makes a huge difference in your premium level. The cheapest insurance rates are usually for the lowest performance passenger cars, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
- Lower rates by increasing comp and collision deductibles - Insurance for physical damage, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are a dented fender, collision with an animal, and damage caused by flying debris. The deductibles are how much you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Pleasure use saves money - The more you drive your car every year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of insurance companies charge rates based upon how much you drive. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time can be on a lower rate level than those used for commuting. Double check that your auto insurance policy shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Do safer cars cost less to insure? - Safe vehicles are cheaper to insure. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and cheaper rates on your policy.
La Mesa auto insurance discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about prior to receiving the credit.
- Mature Driver Discount - Older drivers may receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify for a discount when you quote La Mesa auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Maintaining low annual mileage could earn cheaper rates.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Insureds who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll and complete driver's education as it can save substantially.
- Multi-policy Discount - When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance with one company you could save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Distant College Student Discount - Kids who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Multi-car Discount - Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles with the same auto insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- No Claim Discounts - Claim-free drivers get the best auto insurance rates in comparison to frequent claim filers.
It's important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn't work that way.
Some of the larger companies that may offer some of the discounts shown above include:
When getting free La Mesa auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be available to policyholders in your area. If you would like to view insurers with the best auto insurance discounts in La Mesa, click this link.
You just learned a lot of techniques to save on insurance in La Mesa. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding low cost La Mesa auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from a small local company. They may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it's a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost while still protecting your assets.
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for 16 Year Olds in California? (FAQ)
- How Much is California Car Insurance for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Fontana, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Felons in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for High Mileage Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Cruze? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a School Permit in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in California? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Los Angeles, CA? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Good Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)