High-priced auto insurance in Cathedral City can stress out your family's budget and force you to tighten up your finances. Doing a rate comparison is free and is an excellent way to make sure you're not throwing money away.
It's amazing but about 70% of customers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly half have never shopped around. The average driver in the U.S. can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they think it's difficult to compare other rate quotes.
Insurance companies such as Allstate, Progressive and GEICO all claim big savings, bombarding you with TV and radio ads and it is challenging if not impossible to see past the geckos and flying pigs and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Companies offering competitive rates in California
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in California. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in California, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$1,672||$836||$139|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$1,324||$662||$110|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,100||$550||$92|
|Ford F-150 Lariat King Ranch 4WD||$2,120||$1,060||$177|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,716||$858||$143|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,342||$671||$112|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,626||$813||$136|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,364||$682||$114|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,294||$647||$108|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$1,534||$767||$128|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Rear Entertainment||$1,620||$810||$135|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4WD||$1,450||$725||$121|
|Mazda 3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,874||$937||$156|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$1,416||$708||$118|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$2,072||$1,036||$173|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in specific Cathedral City garaging location which can decrease or increase insurance rates substantially.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Toyota Corolla car insurance costs with and without full coverage. The rates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop full coverage
There is no definitive rule of when to stop paying for physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Toyota Corolla claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $7,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $700 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where eliminating full coverage is not advised. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Poor driving habits will raise your auto insurance rates
The information below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault fender-benders can affect Nissan Altima yearly insurance costs for each age group. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Rate comparison of males versus females
The information below compares annual premium costs for male and female drivers in Cathedral City. The prices are based on no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no other discounts are factored in on a Ford Escape Limited.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Four ways to get insurance more affordably in Cathedral City
Lots of things are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are less obvious like your vehicle usage or your financial responsibility.
The factors shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by companies to determine rates.
- What are your physical damage deductibles? - Physical damage protection, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of covered claims could be a dented fender, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by flying debris. The deductibles are how much you are required to spend before your insurance pays a claim. The larger the amount the insured is willing to pay, the less money you will pay for insurance.
- Insurance rates for married couples - Being married actually saves money on your policy. Marriage translates into being more mature than a single person and insurance companies reward insureds because being married results in fewer claims.
- Long commutes cost more - The more you drive your car in a year's time the higher your rates will be. A lot of companies calculate rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates than cars that get driven a lot. It's a smart idea to ensure your vehicle rating states the right rating data, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Performance impacts insurance premiums - The performance of the car you need to insure makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Small economy passenger vehicles generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
Get cheap rates by getting discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't always publicize every possible discount very well, so the next list breaks down some of the more common as well as the least known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Switch and Save Discount - Some car insurance companies give discounts for switching to them before your current expiration date. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Driver Education Discount - Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver's ed class as it can save substantially.
- Employee of Federal Government - Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Use Seat Belts - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Defensive Driving Course - Participating in a course that instructs on driving safety is a good idea and can lower rates and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Pay Early and Save - If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Smart Student Discounts - A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Cathedral City auto insurance quote. You can use this discount normally well after school through age 25.
- Low Mileage - Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with discounted car insurance rates on garaged vehicles.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you can combine your auto and home policy and insure them both with the same insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So even though you would think you could get a free car insurance policy, nobody gets a free ride.
Car insurance companies that may offer policyholders many of the previously listed discounts include:
It's a good idea to ask each insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in Cathedral City. To view car insurance companies who offer free car insurance quotes in Cathedral City, click here.
You may need help from an agent
Many people still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing so can bring peace of mind A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
After completing this short form, the coverage information is sent to companies in Cathedral City that can give you free Cathedral City auto insurance quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to leave your computer because prices are sent to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you would need to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing the best provider should include more criteria than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in California?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Cathedral City?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies in Cathedral City can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents generally can only insure with one company like Allstate and State Farm. These agents are not able to provide other company's prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies are well trained in insurance sales which helps them compete with independent agents.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents often have affiliation with several companies and that gives them the ability to insure through lots of different companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don't have to do anything.
When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to get insurance quotes from independent agents to get the best comparison.
The car insurance bait and switch
Well-known car insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO consistently run ads on TV and radio. They all tend to make the same promise that you can save if you get a free Cathedral City auto insurance quote and switch your coverage to them. How is it possible that every company can make almost identical claims? Just pay attention to how they say it.
Most companies quote the lowest rates for the right customer that makes them money. For instance, a profitable customer may need to be a married male, has no driving citations, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Any driver who matches those parameters will most likely get cheap prices and most likely will save when they switch companies.
People who cannot meet these criteria will get higher premiums and this can result in business not being written. The ads say "people who switch" not "everybody who quotes" save the amount stated. That is how companies can lure you into getting a quote. This really illustrates why you absolutely need to compare price quotes frequently. It is just not possible to predict which insurance companies will give you lower premium rates than your current company.
The lowest rates come from being thorough
In this article, we covered many ways to find cheaper coverage online. It's most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest premium rates come from some of the lesser-known companies. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
While you're price shopping online, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, an accident victim reduced full coverage to discover at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to buy enough coverage at the best possible price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
More detailed insurance information is located in these articles:
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in California? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Fremont, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for High Risk Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)