No one is fond of buying auto insurance, especially when they are aware that the cost is too high.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that nearly 70% of customers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. Union City insurance shoppers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but they just don't understand the big savings they would realize if they switched to a more affordable policy.
There is such a variety of insurance companies to choose from, and even though it's nice to have a selection, it can be more difficult to find the lowest rates.
It's a great practice to take a look at other company's rates occasionally because prices are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the lowest rates on auto insurance two years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we're going to demonstrate the tricks you need to know to find great coverage at a great price.
Finding the cheapest auto insurance coverage in Union City is really quite easy. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to cut your premiums using the tips covered below. Although California drivers must understand how the larger insurance companies set your policy premium because rates fluctuate considerably.
Auto insurance companies in California
The companies shown below offer price quotes in Union City, CA. If you want cheap auto insurance in California, we recommend you get rates from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD||$1,688||$844||$141|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,222||$611||$102|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SXT||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$1,246||$623||$104|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$1,158||$579||$97|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$982||$491||$82|
|Ford F-150 Lariat King Ranch 4WD||$1,708||$854||$142|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,550||$775||$129|
|Ford Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,406||$703||$117|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$990||$495||$83|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,052||$526||$88|
|Honda Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,598||$799||$133|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$1,186||$593||$99|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$1,600||$800||$133|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$1,142||$571||$95|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,800||$900||$150|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,232||$616||$103|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,552||$776||$129|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,570||$785||$131|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in zip code location which can influence coverage rates noticeably.
How violations and accidents impact rates
The diagram below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims can drive up Toyota Camry insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The rates are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Make wise decisions and cut your costs
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the factors that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are a few of the "ingredients" companies use to determine prices.
- What are good liability protection limits? - The liability coverage on your policy provides coverage if a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide you with a defense in court to defend your case. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Traffic violations increase costs - Having a clean driving record has a big impact on rates. Careful drivers get better prices as compared to those with violations. Having just one driving citation can increase the cost of insurance twenty percent or more. Drivers who get severe violations like DUI or willful reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Commute or pleasure use - Driving more miles in a year's time the higher your rate. A lot of insurance companies charge rates based upon how much you drive. Vehicles that have low annual miles receive better premium rates than those used for commuting. Verify your car insurance policy correctly shows annual mileage.
- Policy add-ons can waste money - There are quite a few extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying but may not be useful. Coverage for things like rental car reimbursement, death and dismemberment, and term life insurance could be just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea at first, but if you don't need them eliminate them to save money.
Are you receiving every discount?
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but some need to be manually applied before you get the savings.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Low mileage vehicles may allow you to get lower car insurance rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Safety Course Discount - Successfully completing a course teaching safe driver skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Military Discounts - Having a deployed family member can result in better car insurance rates.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles have a lower chance of being stolen and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Drivers who elect to allow their car insurance company to track driving patterns through the use of a telematics system such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may see discounts if they show good driving skills.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Teen drivers should successfully complete driver's ed class in high school.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Payment Method - By paying your entire bill at once instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Putting coverage on a new car can save you some money due to better safety requirements for newer vehicles.
We need to note that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you aren't that lucky.
If you would like to see a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, click here to view.
When to contact an insurance agent
A small number of people still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is OK! The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find lower rates and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance data is sent to companies in Union City who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent immediately to you. You'll get the best rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you can always go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an company should include more criteria than just the price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in California?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
Independent or Exclusive: It's your choice
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of agencies and how they work. Insurance policy providers are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive agencies generally can only insure with one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are trained well on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Independent Insurance Agencies
These agents do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage through lots of different companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies and you won't have to switch agencies. If you are comparing insurance prices, it's a good idea to include price quotes from a few independent agents in order to compare the most rates.
After talking to the agent and getting good feedback and locked in a price quote, it's possible that you found an auto insurance agent that meets the criteria to properly service your insurance policy.
Are you falling for claims of savings?
Big name companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm endlessly run ads on television and other media. All the ads have a common claim of big savings after switching your policy. How does each company save you money on insurance? Here is the trick they use.
All the different companies offer their best rates for the right customer that makes them money. For example, a profitable customer might be between the ages of 30 and 50, carries full coverage, and drives a car with an anti-theft system. Any person that meets those criteria will qualify for the lowest premium rates in Union City as well as save money with a new company.
Insureds who cannot meet these stringent criteria will probably have to pay a more expensive rate and this can result in business going elsewhere. The trick is to say "drivers that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save the amount stated. That's the way insurance companies can advertise the savings. This really drives home the point why you absolutely need to compare as many free Union City auto insurance quotes as you can. Because you cannot predict which company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your needs are unique to you and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions might help in determining if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
If you can't answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Persistence is the key to cheap rates
We just covered quite a bit of information on how to shop for auto insurance online. It's most important to understand that the more you quote Union City auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting affordable Union City auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best prices are with a lesser-known regional company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
Cheaper auto insurance in Union City is attainable both online and also from your neighborhood Union City agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not provide internet price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
For more information, feel free to visit the articles below:
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda CR-V in California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Santa Clarita, California? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors in California? (FAQ)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)