Wish you could get out of overpriced insurance? Trust us, many Calexico consumers feel financially strained by their insurance policy.
It's astonishing, but over 70% of California drivers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never shopped around. Most drivers in the U.S. could cut their rates by approximately $859 a year just by shopping around, but they think it's difficult to find cheaper insurance rates. Multiple auto insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a company and uncover the absolute lowest cost out there.
If you are insured now or just want to save money, follow these tips to reduce premiums without reducing protection. Buying the cheapest insurance in Calexico can be made easier if you know where to look. Smart shoppers just have to understand the quickest method to quote multiple rates from many companies at once.
Finding more affordable Calexico auto insurance rates is a great way to save money. The only requirement is to invest a few minutes comparing free Calexico car insurance quotes online from several insurance companies.
Getting free price quotes online is quite simple, and it makes it obsolete to go to and from local Calexico insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates this option unless you have a complicated situation and need the trained advice only provided by licensed Calexico agents. Drivers can find lower rates online but buy from a local Calexico insurance agent.
The companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Calexico, CA. To get the cheapest auto insurance in California, it's a good idea that you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,322||$661||$110|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$1,168||$584||$97|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,690||$845||$141|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$1,324||$662||$110|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$1,544||$772||$129|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,316||$658||$110|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,314||$657||$110|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,208||$604||$101|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,572||$786||$131|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,840||$920||$153|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,896||$948||$158|
|Kia Optima SX||$2,006||$1,003||$167|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,322||$661||$110|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$1,320||$660||$110|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,458||$729||$122|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,592||$796||$133|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,648||$824||$137|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in specific location information which can modify coverage prices considerably.
Poor driving habits will raise your car insurance rates
The information below highlights how traffic violations and accidents can drive up Dodge Ram insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The premium estimates are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Chevrolet Tahoe insurance premiums with full coverage and liability only. The premiums are based on no violations or accidents, $500 deductibles, married female driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Tahoe rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no exact rule of when to exclude physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Chevrolet Tahoe settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are currently paying more than $400 annually to have full coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some conditions where only buying liability is not recommended. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Higher deductibles save money
The illustration below illustrates how your deductible choice and can increase or decrease Dodge Ram insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high insurance cost in Calexico, buying car insurance is required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, almost all lenders will require you to have physical damage coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your car. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is wasting up to $865 each year so you should quote and compare rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Why smart consumers get cheaper prices in Calexico
It's important that you understand some of the factors that help calculate the level of your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in better insurance rates.
The following are some of the items used by companies to determine your rate level.
Bundle policies with the same company - Most insurers allow lower prices to customers that purchase more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can add up to as much as ten percent or more Even with this discount applied, you still need to get quotes from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money.
High credit scores save money - Having a good credit rating can be an important factor in calculating your insurance rates. If your credit history is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle if you clean up your credit. Insureds that have very good credit scores tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
Prevent theft and save - Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your insurance. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system help track and prevent car theft.
Discounts for married couples - Getting married can get you a discount when buying insurance. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be more stable financially and it's statistically proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Reduce rates by driving vehicles with better crash test results - Cars with five star safety ratings cost less to insure. Highly rated vehicles result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less claims paid which can result in lower premiums.
Insurance policy discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you can get discounts to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but a few must be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Low Miles Discount - Driving less can earn slightly better rates than normal.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Accident Waiver - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven't had any claims before the accident.
- Cautious Drivers - Accident-free drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Government Employee Discount - Active or former government employment can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Theft Deterrent System - Cars and trucks equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Claim Free - Good drivers with no accidents pay much less when compared with policyholders that have many claims.
- Life Insurance - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn better insurance rates if you take out a life policy as well.
- Home Ownership Discount - Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
A quick disclaimer, some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won't be that lucky.
Large insurance companies and a selection of discounts can be found below.
- GEICO includes discounts for seat belt use, military active duty, five-year accident-free, air bags, and anti-theft.
- Travelers may include discounts for IntelliDrive, student away at school, early quote, payment discounts, save driver, new car, and home ownership.
- Nationwide has savings for defensive driving, multi-policy, anti-theft, business or organization, and family plan.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for homeowner, good student, alternative fuel, bundle discounts, and pay in full.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including renters, multi-car, paid-in-full, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, and Pac-12 alumni.
- State Farm may offer discounts for passive restraint, safe vehicle, multiple policy, good student, defensive driving training, and anti-theft.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, online quote discount, and multi-policy.
- Mercury Insurance discounts include annual mileage, multi-car, anti-theft, multi-policy, and age of vehicle.
If you need lower rates, check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. A few discounts may not apply to policies in your state. If you would like to view insurance companies who offer insurance discounts in California, click here to view.
Your insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether you might need an agent's assistance.
- Is my covered if I use it for business?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
If you can't answer these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Buying from auto insurance agents
Some consumers would prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Most agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is that you can find cheaper premium rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Calexico that can give you free Calexico car insurance quotes for your business. You never need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered to you. If you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Selecting an insurance company should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Any agent in Calexico should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
What type of Calexico auto insurance agent is right for you?
If you're trying to find a local Calexico insurance agent, it's helpful to know the types of agencies that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Calexico can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can provide insurance policies, but it's important to know the differences because it can impact your agent selection.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive are contracted to one company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which can be an advantage.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent often have affiliation with several companies and that allows them to write policies through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If they quote lower rates, they simply switch companies in-house and you don't have to find a new agent. When searching for an agent, we recommend you compare prices from at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Get the best coverage at the most affordable price
Consumers switch companies for any number of reasons including poor customer service, being labeled a high risk driver, policy non-renewal and even delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a new company is less work than it seems.
More affordable insurance in Calexico can be sourced on the web and with local Calexico insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who don't offer rates over the internet and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
We've covered a lot of techniques to reduce insurance premium rates online in Calexico. It's most important to understand that the more companies you get prices for, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Calexico car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the best price on insurance is with the least-expected company.
More detailed insurance information is located at these sites:
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Felons in California? (FAQ)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)