Finding more affordable premium rates for car insurance can seem to be frustrating for people who have little experience quoting coverage prices online. With such a large number of agents and companies in the marketplace, it can turn into a lot of work to compare premium rates on car insurance.
A recent car insurance study discovered that the majority of drivers have bought car insurance from the same company for more than four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared rate quotes at all. American drivers can save as much as 46.5% each year, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they replace their high priced policy.
It is always a good idea to take a look at other company's rates occasionally because insurance prices change regularly. Even if you think you had the best rates on car insurance last year a different company probably has better rate quotes today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because I'm going to teach you one of the easiest ways to lower your annual insurance bill.
These discounts can lower your car insurance quotes
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might already qualify for some discounts that you may not know about. Some trigger automatically at the time of quoting, but some need to be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Mature Driver Discount - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you could receive a small discount on rates.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt can save a little on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Early Signing - Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current policy. This can save 10% or more.
- Telematics Devices - People who choose to allow their company to study their driving habits by using a telematic data system like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
- New Car Discount - Buying a new car instead of a used car can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
- Multi-line Discount - Some insurance companies give a lower rate if you buy some life insurance too.
- Federal Government Employee - Being employed by or retired from a federal job may reduce rates when you quote Claremont car insurance depending on your car insurance provider.
Don't be shocked that some credits don't apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Despite the appearance that all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride. Any qualifying discounts will definitely lower your policy premiums.
Companies and some of their more popular discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may include discounts for accident-free, defensive driving training, driver's education, passive restraint, and good driver.
- American Family has savings for good student, good driver, mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and bundled insurance.
- GEICO offers discounts for good student, membership and employees, military active duty, air bags, daytime running lights, and defensive driver.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, theft prevention, student driver, teen driver, and automatic seat belts.
- Progressive discounts include continuous coverage, multi-policy, good student, online signing, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
If you want cheap Claremont car insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering to give you their best rates. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in your area. If you would like to view insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in California, follow this link.
The fastest way that we advise to get rate comparisons is to know auto insurance companies participate in a system to compare their rates. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide details including which vehicles you own, if you went to college, whether you are married, and your occupation. Your information is instantly provided to insurance companies and you will get price comparisons within a short period of time.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide quotes in California. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in California, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,758||$879||$147|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Crew||$1,800||$900||$150|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$1,514||$757||$126|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,174||$587||$98|
|Ford Explorer Limited 2WD||$1,354||$677||$113|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$1,116||$558||$93|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,670||$835||$139|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,282||$641||$107|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,810||$905||$151|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,422||$711||$119|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$1,490||$745||$124|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,080||$540||$90|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,796||$898||$150|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,230||$615||$103|
|Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T Station Wagon||$1,174||$587||$98|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, and homeowner. Information does not factor in specific Claremont garaging location which can decrease or increase premium rates greatly.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The information below illustrates the comparison of annual premium costs for male and female drivers in Claremont. The rate quotes are based on no claims or violations, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration on a Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ.
Chevrolet Tahoe rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
How accidents and violations affect rates
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims can impact Toyota Camry annual premium costs for different ages of insureds. The rates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductible comparison
One frequently asked question is how high should your deductibles be. The following tables can help you visualize the difference in cost when you buy lower versus higher policy deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $250 deductible for comprehensive and collision coverage and the second price chart uses a $500 deductible.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Premium amounts do not factor in your specific Claremont location which can impact insurance rates significantly.
Based on the data above, we can derive that using a $250 deductible costs an average of $18 more each month or $216 for a full year than choosing the higher $500 deductible. Due to the fact that you would have to pay $250 more out-of-pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you tend to go at a minimum 14 months between claims, you would come out ahead going with the higher deductible.
Learn how to get car insurance cheaper
Lots of factors are part of the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious such as your driving history, but other factors are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
- Multiple policies with one company can save - Most car insurance companies apply discounts to clients that purchase more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, it's still a good idea to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Remove unneeded extra coverages - There are a lot of add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time but may not be useful. Coverages for replacement cost coverage, death and dismemberment, and motor club memberships are examples of these. You may think they are a good idea when talking to your agent, but if you've never needed them in the past eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Long commutes cost more - The more you drive every year the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies calculate prices based upon how much you drive. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Double check that your vehicle rating shows the right rating data, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Small claims can cost you - Companies in California give discounts to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. If you file a lot of claims you can definitely plan on higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- Your liability insurance limits - The liability section of your policy provides coverage if you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is pretty cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Your occupation may affect prices - Do you work in a high-stress field? Occupational choices like real estate brokers, executives and emergency personnel tend to pay the highest average rates due to intense work situations and long work hours. Other occupations such as actors, athletes and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- Having a spouse is a good thing - Getting married can actually save you money when shopping for car insurance. Having a significant other may mean you are less irresponsible and statistics prove being married results in fewer claims.
Different people need different auto insurance coverages
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you could use an agent's help.
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- What is glass protection for?
- What does medical payments coverage do?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my vehicle?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Protect more than your vehicle
Despite the high cost, insurance serves an important purpose.
First, the majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your car, almost all lenders will require that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
Third, insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $869 every year so you should quote and compare rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheaper car insurance rates are possible
Some insurance providers may not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller providers prefer to sell through local independent agencies. Budget-conscious car insurance can be sourced online and also from your neighborhood Claremont agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture.
While you're price shopping online, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
In this article, we presented many ideas to reduce car insurance prices online in Claremont. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the best prices are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are California Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Quotes for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Teenage Males in California? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Fresno, California? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)