Are you trying to find lower-priced auto insurance rates in Downey, CA? Paying more affordable prices for auto insurance could be challenging for drivers who have little experience comparison shopping online. With dozens of insurers available, it can easily turn into a real hassle to compare rates in California on auto insurance.
Remarkably, a study showed that most California auto insurance customers kept buying from the same company for at least four years, and nearly half have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Many drivers in the U.S. can save nearly $859 each year by just shopping around, but most undervalue the amount of savings they would get if they switched.
How to compare insurance price quotes in Downey
When looking for inexpensive Downey car insurance quotes, there are a couple ways to compare quotes from different Downey insurance companies. The recommended way to find cheaper rates is to get quotes online.
When comparing insurance rates, know that more quotes will improve the odds of getting a lower rate than you're paying now. Not every company does online price quotes, so you also need to get price estimates from the smaller companies as well.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in California. If you want the best auto insurance in California, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$1,800||$900||$150|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$1,412||$706||$118|
|Ford Edge Sport AWD||$1,664||$832||$139|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$1,414||$707||$118|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,608||$804||$134|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,700||$850||$142|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,316||$658||$110|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Honda Odyssey Touring||$1,514||$757||$126|
|Hyundai Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,102||$551||$92|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,850||$925||$154|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,506||$753||$126|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,482||$741||$124|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Estimates do not factor in specific location information which can lower or raise price quotes considerably.
Careless driving habits raise Downey car insurance rates
The illustration below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions increase Chevrolet Malibu auto insurance rates for different age groups. Data assumes a married male driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Check for these price cutting discounts
Some insurance providers don't always publicize all discounts very well, so the next list breaks down both the well known and the harder-to-find credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- College Student - Youth drivers who live away from home to go to college and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your Downey car insurance quote.
- Active Service Discounts - Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can stop better under adverse conditions and will save you 10% or more.
- Good Driver Discount - Drivers who don't get into accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Downey car insurance quote than drivers with accident claims.
- Full Payment Discount - By making one initial payment instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Home Ownership Discount - Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on insurance because it shows financial diligence.
- Save over 55 - If you're over the age of 55, you are able to get reduced rates.
As is typical with insurance, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don't profit that way.
Large insurance companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, multiple policy, safe vehicle, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
- Esurance includes discounts for Switch & Save, good driver, claim free, homeowner, paid-in-full, good student, and safety device.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, and online signing.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include newly retired, preferred payment discount, new graduate, multi-car, and new vehicle discount.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may have discounts that include safe vehicle, good student, group or association, multiple vehicles, and anti-theft.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for air bags, five-year accident-free, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, and driver training.
If you want low cost Downey car insurance quotes, ask all the companies how you can save money. Savings might not be offered in every state. To view companies that offer the discounts shown above in California, click here to view.
You have control over your car insurance costs
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing some of the elements that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in lower premium levels. Many different elements are used when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but others are less apparent such as your marital status or your commute time.
The factors shown below are some of the items utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rate level.
- Prices and vocation - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Careers such as judges, social workers and miners are shown to have the highest average rates in part from intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, jobs such as farmers, athletes and performers pay lower than average rates.
- Fast cars cost more to insure - The make and model of the car you own makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. The most favorable rates are for lower cost passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Gender and insurance coverage - Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. The data does not necessarily mean that females are better drivers. Men and women are in fender benders at a similar rate, but the male of the species get into accidents with more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Continuous coverage saves money - Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a fast way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you fines or a revoked license.
- Higher coverage deductibles are cheaper - Insurance for physical damage to your car, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are a windshield shattered by a rock, hitting a deer, or theft. The deductibles you choose tell how much you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more expense you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Shop online but buy locally
Some consumers would prefer to get advice from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find lower prices and still have a local agent. And providing support for local insurance agencies is especially important in Downey.
By using this short form, your coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Downey who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. You never need to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. You can find the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
If you want to use a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are a couple of different types of agents and how they function. Car insurance policy providers can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not employed by one company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a cheaper price, they can switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing car insurance rates, we highly recommend that you include multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from. Most also have access to additional companies that you may not be familiar with which can be an advantage.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are trained well on what they offer which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand legacy rather than low price.
Deciding on a auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the price. Before buying a policy in Downey, get answers to these questions.
- Does the company have a local claim office in Downey?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
After getting answers to your satisfaction to any questions you have and a low price estimate, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that is reliable enough to adequately provide car insurance.
There's no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
When selecting proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn't a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you might need professional guidance.
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Shop around and save
As you shop your coverage around, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Cheaper auto insurance in Downey can be sourced both online as well as from insurance agents, so you need to shop Downey car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not offer rates over the internet and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through local independent agents.
More learning opportunities
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Huntington Beach, California? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in California? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)