Are you tired of trying to scrape together enough money to pay your auto insurance bill each month? You are no different than many other consumers in California.
It's hard to believe, but most consumers kept their policy with the same company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Consumers in California can save 35% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just feel it's too hard to go online and compare rates. Numerous car insurance companies battle to insure your vehicles, so it's not easy to compare every insurer and uncover the absolute best price available on auto insurance.
Finding auto insurance in Santa Clara, CA
The companies shown below offer comparison quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them to get the lowest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LTZ||$1,514||$757||$126|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$2,178||$1,089||$182|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$1,772||$886||$148|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,452||$726||$121|
|Ford Explorer Limited 4WD||$1,354||$677||$113|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$1,254||$627||$105|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,512||$756||$126|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,600||$800||$133|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,372||$686||$114|
|Mazda 3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,172||$586||$98|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,704||$852||$142|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,566||$783||$131|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,454||$727||$121|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in specific location which can modify coverage rates substantially.
Physical damage deductibles
The example below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can influence Ford Escape insurance costs for each age group. The rates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The illustration below shows the comparison of Ford F-150 annual premium costs with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The rate quotes are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are factored in.
Ford F-150 rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no set rule for excluding full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost of full coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Ford F-150 settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If it's costing in excess of $300 annually to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some situations where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Protect more than your vehicle
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Santa Clara, insuring your vehicle is required for several reasons.
First, almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your car, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects both your car and your personal assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having car insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $820 a year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to save money.
Insurance advertising tricks
California drivers can't escape the ads for car insurance savings by State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to tend to make the same promise of big savings if you change your car insurance policy to them.
Is it even possible that every company can charge you a lower premium? You have to listen carefully.
Most companies have specific criteria for the type of driver that is profitable for them. One example of this type of insured might have to be over the age of 50, has had continuous coverage, and insures a new vehicle. Any driver who fits those characteristics receives the best prices in Santa Clara and will probably save a lot of money.
Drivers who fall outside those standards will probably be forced to pay a more expensive rate and the prospect going elsewhere. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say "drivers who switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" save the amount stated. This is how companies can truthfully make it sound like they have such great rates. This really drives home the point why you need to get a wide range of price quotes. It's not possible to predict which car insurance company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Get cheaper insurance with discounts
Insurance is expensive, but you might find some hidden discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of quoting, but a few need to be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Driver Education Discount - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Memberships - Participating in qualifying employment or professional organizations could qualify you for a break on your next insurance statement.
- Senior Citizens - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you are able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Multi-policy Discount - When you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you may earn nearly 15% which can help you find affordable Santa Clara car insurance.
- Military Deployment Discount - Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Payment Method - By paying your entire bill at once rather than spreading payments over time you can actually save on your bill.
- Home Ownership Discount - Owning a home in Santa Clara can save a few bucks since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Seat Belt Usage - Requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though you would think you can get free auto insurance, you aren't that lucky.
Companies who might offer many of the previously listed discounts possibly include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with every company how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in your state. If you would like to view providers that have a full spectrum of discounts in California, follow this link.
Local Santa Clara insurance agencies and auto insurance
Some people still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! Agents can help determine the best coverages and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find cheaper car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to.
By using this simple form, the quote information is transmitted to companies in Santa Clara that can provide free Santa Clara car insurance quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. In the event you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurer shouldn't rely on just a cheap price quote. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- What companies can they write with?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
What insurance coverages do I need?
When it comes to buying coverage online or from an agent, there isn't really a "perfect" insurance plan. Each situation is unique.
For example, these questions can help discover if you might need an agent's assistance.
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- What if I don't agree with a claim settlement offer?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Should I rate my vehicle as business use?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
More comparisons equals cheap rates
Consumers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, not issuing a premium refund, high rates after DUI convictions or even poor customer service. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a great new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
More affordable auto insurance in Santa Clara can be purchased on the web as well as from insurance agents, so get free Santa Clara car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent agencies.
We just covered quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on auto insurance in Santa Clara. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest car insurance rates are with a lesser-known regional company.
To learn more, take a look at these articles:
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest California Auto Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable California Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50? (FAQ)
- How Much are California Auto Insurance Rates for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in California? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in San Jose, California? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in California? (FAQ)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)